From various fruits you can find at local market or grocery store, berries are among the most diverse and famous. This fruit group has lots of nutrition and vitamins, and while they are not magic bullets for disease like many superfood hype commercials said, berries are still great and delicious ways to get nutrition from fresh fruits.
From strawberries, raspberries and blueberries to currants, blackberries and cranberries, these fresh and tangy fruits offer lots of greatness in each serving. Plus, you can turn them into parts of daily meal in many healthy ways.
Berries Health Benefits
As a famous healthy food group, berries contain various important vitamins and minerals, and sufficient serving portion really gives you heaps of goodness, such as:
- Vitamin C. Berries are loaded with vitamin C; for example, a cup of strawberries offer about 100 mm of vitamin C, while blackberries, blueberries and cranberries offer smaller amounts in the same portion but nonetheless significant.
- Folate and potassium. These are important minerals in keeping your general health and supporting your brain activities. Strawberries, blackberries and cranberries are especially loaded with them.
- Calcium and magnesium. A cup of strawberries, cranberries, blackberries or blueberries contain almost the same amount of calcium and magnesium, perfect as healthy snacks for the entire family.
- All berry fruits contain lots of fiber, which is perfect as weight loss food.
These nutritional elements can be earned from eating at least a cup of berries in a day. However, munching fresh berries out of a bowl or cup is not the only way you can get nutritional benefits from these fruits.
Various Ways to Eat Berries
Berries are versatile healthy foods and can be turned into almost anything. If you just start healthy eating habit and have difficulties in wolfing down fresh fruits just like that in a day, there are several ways you can consume berries as parts of daily meal:
- Go simple. Simply keep the berries of your choice in a refrigerator for a while, and then serve them in a bowl with a dollop of low fat cream.
- Put berries on top of your Greek yogurt. Since fruits such as strawberries or blueberries have natural sweetness, you do not have to add anything sweet into the yogurt serving.
- Chop berries and mix them with your whole grained cereal or muesli.
- Blend your favorite berries with some Greek yogurt and ice cubes for classic fruit smoothie recipe. Add lime juice and natural honey if you like, banana if you want breakfast smoothie, or use unsweetened frozen berries instead of fresh berries so you do not have to add ice cubes.
- Add blackberries or blueberries into a bowl of mixed fruit salad, and eat them with freshly squeezed lime juice. Put them in the fridge for a while to turn them into nice summer snack.
As versatile and healthy food with fresh and delicious flavors, berries definitely are regarded highly and great as parts of any daily meal.