Healthy eating is one of the most important things to improve in your daily habits for better health. However, choosing healthy foods is not the only way you can be in good health all year round (especially during colder season or when the weather is unexpected). You must also have good eating habit to avoid being frequently sick, especially since weather patterns become more unpredictable and some people may have difficulties in adjusting.
Here are some great ways to develop healthy eating habits.
Foods and Immune System Improvement
“Eat lots of vitamins and minerals” is one of the most common advices for those who want to improve immune system and stay healthy during the times when many people usually get sick. However, what does the advice actually mean? Here are some guides to eat healthily so you can be stronger and not falling ill easily:
- Make sure your vegetables and fruits are colorful. Fruits and vegetables that have different colors such as green, red, yellow, blue, orange and purple have different compositions of nutrition such as vitamins, minerals and natural enzymes.
- Eat Omega 6, Omega 3, and plant-based acids as replacements for saturated fats. Fish, Omega 3-enriched eggs, canola oil, virgin olive oil, fish oil and sunflower seeds oil are great sources for these fatty acids. You still need fats to be healthy, but choose healthy fats instead of saturated fats.
- Add healthy foods that can improve immune system and have antibacterial, anti inflammation and antimicrobial elements such as garlic, honey, chicken broth, coconut water, ginger, and tea (especially green tea and black tea).
- Include unrefined starch sources such as brown rice and whole wheat foods in your diet. They contain more fiber, vitamins, and good for bowel movements. Plus, they tend to be more fulfilling, so you do not overeat during main meal times.
- Water is important for your diet; drinking too little can make you feel sluggish during the day. Make sure you get good intake of liquid by starting your day with 1-2 glasses of water. Also, make sure you remember to drink about 8 glasses of water per day, although you can also get water from broth-based foods, fresh and crisp vegetables, and fruits like watermelon, orange or pineapple.
Besides the foods, you must also pay attention to the way you eat. For example, while your mom might tell you to eat a lot to be healthy, overeating is never good for your health. In fact, overeating can contribute to the decrease of immune system, and you get higher risk of getting diabetes, high cholesterol and such. You must also not skip meal, and do not starve yourself unnecessary (hint: skipping meal is not a good way to shape your figure). Having snacks between meal times is very much recommended, as long as the snacks are healthy.
Basically, keeping yourself healthy should be as natural as possible, and adjusting the way you eat will greatly improve your health. Make your immune system strong and in peak condition with healthy foods and good eating habits.